The following applies for all F.H.T monthly talks:
– Held at Greenhouse Therapies (40 Parkgate Road, Chester, CH14AJ).
– On the last Friday of every month.
– Arrive at 7:00pm for tea and biscuits.
– Talk at 7:30 – 10pm
– FHT members= £4
– Non – FHT members = £6
– You will need to book
Phone: 01244 637851
JANUARY’S FHT TALK
LOOKING AFTER YOUR THERAPY HANDS – Hannah Williams (Occupational Therapist)
I am a registered Occupational Therapist with over 10 years experience. I have been work within the specialist area of Hand Therapy for the past 2 years. I currently specialise in orthopaedics, treating people following surgical intervention and helping people to conservatively manage chronic conditions affecting the hands.
On a day to day basis my job involves;
• Working closely with hand surgeons, nursing staff and physiotherapists.
• Carrying out detailed assessments of patients, including taking a history of presenting symptoms, assessing range of movement of the hand, oedema, manual muscle testing, sensory testing, and hand function.
• Developing tailored treatment plans with the patient based on their presentation and goals.
• Treatment of oedema, stiffness, pain, wound and scar management, and reduced range of movement.
• Providing research led exercise programmes, activity modification, joint protection advice and splinting.
I am fascinated by the intricacies of the human hand and what our hands mean to us. Our hands are central to what we do on a day to day basis. We need our hands to help us with very simple day to day activities like eat, get dressed, wash, and get us to work. As a massage therapists your hands are how you make a living, they define who you are and how you live. It is therefore vital that you learn to look after your hands and thumbs.
In this workshop we will review the anatomy and physiology of the hands and in particular the thumb joints. We will look at common conditions affecting the thumbs including spotting signs and symptoms early. We will go through some core practical strategies to protect your thumb joints including some exercises to help manage your symptoms and prolong the ‘life’ of your thumbs.
FEBRUARY’S FHT TALK
HOW DOES MASSAGE HELP MY DOG ? By Sarah Carter (Member of the international society of animal professionals)
MARCH’S FHT TALK -POSTPONED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE-
MEDICINE FROM YOUR KITCHEN CUPBOARD – Jayne Milner BSc (Hons)
Please feel free to make a list of items in your spice and herb wrack….even the ones you bought and have never used
This talk is to give you some incite into the variety of herbs you can use to improve your health at home – by using what you have to hand in the kitchen
So come along and bring your ‘shopping list’ with you and, discover a wealth of untapped knowledge at your fingertips!
APRIL’S FHT TALK – TAI CHI
Tai Chi originates from China and is widely practised for wellbeing, though its origins are as a martial art. It has wide ranging health benefits and is suitable for all ages and fitness levels, characterised by slow, graceful movements.
Maria Yuen has been practising Tai Chi for over 25 years and has run the Ji Siu Tai Chi Chuan group based in Handbridge, Chester for the past 12 years. Her professional background is in Occupational Therapy and she works in the NHS.
The session for Greenhouse Therapies will highlight the benefits of Tai Chi as well as give an insight into the scope of this unique martial art. There will be a demonstration and an opportunity to try some of the movements.
Got a question about one of the talks?
Phone: 01244 637851